Friday, January 29, 2010

Blogger's Challenge #136: Happy Birthday!

Our challenge for the week was "birthday".  I needed a birthday card for a young man so this was perfect timing.  I cased the card from the May 2009 issue of Stamper's Success, a magazine published exclusively for SU demos.  I changed up the colors, the background texture (which the picture doesn't capture well) and the label but other than that, I copied it completely! 

That's an important thing to note.  I deal with copying quite a bit as a teacher.  I always tell my students that it's a compliment when someone copies you.  However, in the world of creativity and such, it is essential to give the original creator all of the credit!  The Stampin' Success doesn't mention the creator's name which only tells me it was a Stampin' Up! employee but that person had my idea originally!

The card is a bound-edge card.  To do this, simply score a selected distance from the fold of the card and score.  The ribbon makes the card  appear to be "bound" together.

Please be sure to see how the other BC members celebrated birthdays today!  Happy Friday everyone!

13 comments:

Lisa Somerville said...

Cute birthday card, love the rolled/tied paper under your image.

Ida said...

Super cute. Love the scroll on the side.

Selene Kempton said...

This is adorable! Great images, beautiful Clean and simple card!

Kristen said...

Really cute b-day card. I know thwy will love it.

Kimberly Gajewski said...

This is sensational Lisa! Love the scored side! Wonderfully done! :D

Lori said...

This is adorable, Lisa! Fun card for a guy.

Connie Fossenier said...

Now a different card and will have to look at SS...love the rolled tied effect.
connie paxman

Basement Stamper said...

super cute, love the rolled paper on the edge.

Claudia Perry said...

Great card and perfect for a guy. I really like the roll on the side!

Connie Babbert said...

Very cute card, perfect for a guy card!

Anonymous said...

This card creates a chuckle for sure! Love the woofer and kitty together. Nice touch rolling & tying the end of the paper-great job!

tonistamps said...

I love the bounded edge business on this Lisa. And the rolled up paper...perfect for a dog! :)

Chrissy D said...

Lisa, I am behind in commenting - but this is SO CUTE! Love the colors you chose!